What is new in this phenomenon is that a growing proportion of Internet users can access the Internet only through their mobile. After mobile-first, we are now talking about more and more mobile-only.
Faced with this trend, we can make two observations:
- The websites are becoming heavier, despite the significant efforts of technical optimization that are made. They load more and more assets mechanically increasing the weight of the pages.
- Most mobile internet users use 2G connections (60% globally), and one of the characteristics of mobile networks is their instability
Knowing that 53% of Internet users abandon a site that takes more than 3 seconds to load, it becomes essential to find solutions to make the web dynamic and allow it to offer rich user experiences, fast, reliable and engaging.
“We are at a turning point for the web. “
Boosting mobile performance in all its dimensions, today is the promise of Progressive Web Apps. They are positioned as an intermediate response between the site and the mobile application: fast and engaging as a mobile application, simple and “standard” as a website.
The promise of the PWA comes in one word: FIRE.
- Fast: Fast access and avoiding destructive load times for the user experience.
- Integrated : providing an integrated and seamless experience with the terminal.
- Reliable: always operational, whatever the network conditions, offering solutions in case of low bandwidth or lack of connection.
- Engaging: offering interfaces of the same quality as a mobile application, supporting notifications, …
All is not pink complement. While leading browsers support basic technical mechanisms, Apple and Microsoft are still resisting, even though they announced the support of service workers by their respective browsers. The difficulties are there, but the solutions exist: the situation should therefore improve.
The future seems clear for the PWA, especially as the first feedback shows an increase in user commitment and conversion.
So you have to test. Start setting up an MVP. Measure the benefits and expectations of users, and gradually take control of the concept to exploit the full potential and offer even more engaging experiences.
In this fight that the applications and the websites engage to obtain the favors of the users, it is today certain that the Progressive Web Apps have an important role to play.